Thursday, January 1, 2009

The Year That Was - 2008

(Intended to be published earlier.)

It wouldn't be me if I didn't round up the year by doing a summary.
I like to keep track of things in the past by recalling memories so that I won't forget.
One good way is by blurting it all here haha.
Am I making any sense?


I guess I should divide it into 4 quarters as each quarter was significantly different from the other. OK, I'm beginning to feel like I'm talking too much, so let's just get to it.

Quarter 1 (Jan-Mac)
Wow I missed out on so much coz I was in NS. This was a very different way to start the year. But I'm glad it happened the way it did despite some sour times there. Gua Musang is a nice place but I would be lying if I said NS was all fun. After all, I'm a city boy. One of the hardest things about going to NS was not being able to play tennis. Also, I discovered that hand washing clothes is like the hardest chore ever! From the rinsing to the scrubbing to the squeezing. My hands were sore, and also a little burnt from an ironing accident. =P
Honestly though, I did become more independent. Some activities in NS were a little boring, but I did make some good friends there. This experience exposed me to a different community and in general it made me see things a little differently (at least for a while).


Quarter 2 (Apr-Jun)
I loved this time of 2008. Just back from NS, it was like returning to civilisation. I made a choice of only starting college in July, so I had three months to unwind. I needed a little time off after NS before getting back to hardcore study life. As I can recall, I did some fun stuff like watch a number of movies, but most of the time I was just relaxing and sometimes meeting up with friends. One significant thing was going for driving lessons, and consequently getting my license in June. This was the longest time off I've ever had.

Quarter 3 (Jul-Sep)
This was a whole new chapter. Starting MUFY at Sunway, meeting new people at a new environment. I guess I coped pretty well academic wise, considering the syllabus wasn't as hardcore as I expected. During these few months I kind of stayed to myself, I mean I didn't really click with anyone, unlike the CHS days where I felt safe with my gang. I guess I'm just not the talkative sociable type. But college is indeed different from high school. This year's Wimbledon was amazing, Nadal was awesome and the Williams sisters final was equally good. And of course, I finally turned 18.

Quarter 4 (Oct-Dec)
October was pretty slow and the first half of November was all about exams. Actually the stress factor wasn't that high. The second half of Nov (which was the beginning of my holiday) was a big turn around. The KylieX2008 concert in Singapore which I waited for so long to see was really good. My first concert experience. What sweet memories. December was more happening, from going to the Children's Party in Melaka to the food trip in Penang and then to my one week of sickness. Of course there is also my recent road trip around Perak which I will blog about later.

>>OVERALL, 2008 has been good to me. It was certainly better than 2006 & 2007 in terms of stress. I remember that one of my 2008 new year's resolution was to take things easier and be better to myself. Well, I definitely kept that promise. I had lots of fun this year, oh I mean last year (2008). I think I handled things pretty well.

I HOPE 2009 WILL BE AS GOOD AS, IF NOT BETTER THAN 2008.
Cheers =)

No comments: