Monday, July 27, 2009

Good Times

Wow this match up between Maria and Justine is even better than the previous one I posted.

2008 Australian Open Quarter Finals
I couldn't watch this live coz I was "serving my country" a.k.a. NS at that time.
So thank god for YouTube.

Maria's best match performance to date.



This video is the classic example of what I try to emulate in every match I play. Not going for much fancy variety (partly becoz I don't have the chops). Just clear cut hitting, topspin, almost always from the baseline, deep, side to side, based on a simple game plan.

If you have played with me, I'm sure you noticed the resemblance in my game to Maria's. (Yes I might be a lil' of a copycat)
Everything from the O.C.D. like repetition of routines to the cold stare and generally unfriendly demeanour. Oh not forgetting the noise making department. =P

I do apologize if the noise has ever caused annoyance to fellow players, BUT it's done for a purpose and certainly NEVER intended to offend or disrupt opponents.
Frankly I see no problems with it. =)

As for the whole frosty attitude, I believe it has to do with competitiveness. I realize I really hate to lose, which is why I fight for every point. And it's hard to smile or even speak to your opponent when you're trying to focus and there is so much pressure and tension.

I would like to call this my "on court alter ego". The moment the match is over, I switch back to being me. I have never once felt hatred towards the ppl I played with, it's just that during the match I'm mean and will try to destroy them. Not them as in the person, but them as in the player on the opposite side of the net.


You might think I'm psychotic after reading this. Don't worry coz I think so too hahaha =)

No comments: