Thursday, May 14, 2009

B-r-e-a-t-h-e

One of the softest Kylie songs.

This performance in 1998 was humble, vulnerable in a way but still captivating.

During this time, she was not as popular compared to her earlier fame (1987-early 90's) and when she became a megastar in 2001. At this time I didn't even know who Kylie was.

But now when I listen to tracks from that period, I really feel it's the most honest and sincere material Kylie has ever done. It may not sound as radio friendly or catchy, and some songs were slightly dark (like 'Too Far') and had hints of frustration (like 'Limbo' which I love).

Sure, her disco pop tracks now are addictive, easy on the ears and its makes u happy and feel like moving your body, but it's just not as heartfelt as some of the stuff she has done in the late nineties.

However it seems that catchy pop songs have greater commercial value and appeal to the general public. I guess it's good to have a mixture. Somedays I listen to the fast dance numbers, while on others (like today) I opt for more mellow and soulful tracks.

No comments: