Saturday, April 2, 2011

Balance

I think I've finally found some balance in life.

Went to consult another Gastroenterologist in February who was recommended by another physician. I think this time the diagnosis + treatment plan was finally right. Well at least it feels much better now after one month of medication.

Turned out to be 3 words: Irritable Bowel Syndrome. Irregular bowel contractions result in food not being properly moved as it should be, trapping air in the bowel resulting in bloating. Subsequently the bloating makes me feel full all the time, resulting in poor appetite and weight loss. Bloating also forces the stomach acid up the esophagus, causing acid reflux and the discomfort that I'm so terrified of.

The downside is that there is NO CURE for IBS. Just prescriptions for symptomatic relief. Well, it's better than nothing. If it means feeling better and being able to eat, then I don't mind taking meds long term. Some people get better on their own after taking the course of medication, but for most the chance of relapse is high. It's been a week since I finished my meds, and so far I'm still feeling OK, so fingers crossed that it stays that way!!

Apparently some ppl are just born with this condition. For others, it is triggered by lifestyle, namely stress. That explains a lot. But anyway, physically I feel good now, even gained a little bit of weight which is a seriously welcoming sign! I was afraid that eventually I would be nothing but skin and bones.

Being physically fuller means being able to play sports better! I feel fitter than usual. Can go for jogging and do sit ups without feeling tired as quickly as before. More energy. Stamina is getting better, just need to maintain it now by exercising regularly.

And that gives me the opportunity to really rebuild my tennis game. I know what needs to be done tactically, with the technical and mental skills to back it up, and now I will be able to execute my game physically which was always the aspect that was hindering my progress.

Feeling healthier also means being able to deal with assignments and late nights better! Or maybe it's the fact that I'm in week 5 now, so the body naturally adjusted to the student lifestyle again.

Whatever it is, I'm glad the good times are here.
Pray that they stay.

No comments: