Sunday, August 15, 2010

Evolution... complete

(This is a super wordy post)

I have evolved recently... nope didn't change form like a Digimon, but in terms of... I don't know what you call it... erm lifestyle?

You know when you learn about evolution of species in Biology, Darwin's concept was that variation naturally occurs in every population, so individuals who had characteristics that enabled them to adapt to their environments more readily would be 'naturally selected' for survival, and subsequently go on to reproduce and define their species.

Well yeah, mine is not as drastic (no propagation involved LOL), more like personal evolution. Long story short: my body is adapting to the hectic work schedule by requiring less and less sleep. It may not sound significant, but I definitely noticed the change.

Usually I would need at least 7 hours of sleep a day to function normally, but now I can do with 4. This week, I slept for only 5 hours/day for 3 consecutive days and was still able to attend class in the morning. At first it sucked, felt like a walking zombie, but once you get past that initial sense of fatigue, your body sort of resets and you feel normal again even though you didn't replenish the sleep!

Last Wednesday I worked till 3am to finish a lab report that was due at 9. Amazing new threshold for me. The old me would have been super exhausted and whined through the whole way. Haaah but the new me just kept my mouth shut and focused on finishing the work. So it's also a change in behaviour. According to my mum, if you stop thinking you're tired, then you won't feel tired. Some sort of self applied reverse psychology?

I know this isn't healthy and I'm getting super panda eyes so I do try to sleep regular hours during the weekends. Refilling the tank coz you'll never know how much gas you need for the next 5 days.


Let's talk about something else... tennis! Played last Thursday after a month of virtually no exercise. It's demoralizing when you realize your stamina has declined and simply hitting the ball seems to be taking up more energy and effort than I remembered. I still love tennis but I don't think I can ever be good at it anymore considering my poor physical state and yes.. stomach/eating problems.

OH well.. guess I should just sit on the couch and watch the pros. The US open is coming up, as usual I will be supporting Nadal and Maria. Haven't heard much about Nadal or even Roger since Wimbledon, but I know Maria has been playing better lately.

Alrite time to get back to work!

No comments: