Wednesday, December 16, 2009

That's It?

First time... getting admitted into a hospital.
First time... getting my hand poked by a painful needle multiple times into the veins.
First time... doing a procedure that required sedation.

Was freaking nervous moments before the endoscope. I knew it was a safe procedure, but it was the uncertainty that worried me. I'm a control freak, I panic when I'm unaware of the situation or when things go beyond my control. Felt helpless. My heart was thumping so hard and fast, couldn't calm down.

I always didn't get why some patients freak out before doing a procedure/surgery. Now I know. You have to experience it yourself to understand that sense of helplessness as you lie in bed waiting, not knowing what's to come.

By the time I was sedated... poof!!! I fell asleep and don't remember anything after that. When I woke up, it was over. No pain. Didn't feel anything at all.

OK.. so the endoscope confirmed what was wrong with my stomach. Erm I have GERD (Gastro Esophageal Reflux Disease), a condition where the stomach acid flows back into the esophagus due to the weaken muscle that controls the opening of the stomach.

The scope found an ulcer at the opening of the stomach. Also, inside the stomach was red and had spots and this basically indicates infection. Guess what, my old friend H.pylori is still there! Once again tested positive for the bacteria. I almost can't believe that a bacteria can cause so much discomfort. I swear I thought it was something more severe or fatal like a tumour.

The doc convinced me that whatever I have is treatable. But there are certain things I cannot do. Can't drink coffee or tea, eat chocolate, lie down within 3 hours after eating, cannot bend over or lift heavy stuff after eating, basically cannot do anything that strains the abdomen physically, and that unfortunately includes heavy sports like tennis. No running and jumping around for me.

I'll work it out. Somehow.
Will take it easy for now.

P.S. I like the new Rihanna. Darker, stronger, edgier. Solid album, heavy beats.

No comments: